Here's an anime questionnaire that I made and sent to all my friends that like anime. I send questionnaires like this from time to time to be updated on my friends' current anime interests, and so they can know mine too ^_^ I've posted the questionnaire on Anime Yume so you can send it to your anime-loving friends too. Right now it has all of my answers, but all you gotta do is copy and paste it on an e-mail, erase my answers and put in your own, and then send it to all your friends that like anime. Chances are you'll learn something about your friends' anime interest that you didn't know before ^^ There's 26 questions total, but you don't have to answer all of them if you don't want to. You can give short, simple answers or long, detailed answers, whatever you want - it's just for fun =) Either way, I think this questionnaire covers pretty much everything you might want to know about someone's anime interest.
1. List all the anime that you're familiar with (meaning you've seen at least a bunch of the episodes and you know the story and characters fairly well).
- A: Check my MAL list for this XD
2. Out of those, list your favorites (doesn't have to be in order).
- A: Azumanga Daioh, Cardcaptor Sakura, Death Note, Evangelion, Inuyasha, Kannagi, Lucky Star, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Naruto, Noir, One Piece, Pokemon, Wolf’s Rain
3. What was the first anime you ever watched, when did you first watch it, and what was your first impression?
- A: Sailor Moon, way back in the early 1990s. I liked it a lot and even though I was just a kid back then I could tell that there was something special about it compared to the other cartoons I watched.
4. List some of the manga you're familiar with.
- A: The only manga series I've read in its entirety is Inuyasha and the only ongoing series I'm reading is Kannagi (and translations of the Haruhi Suzumiya novels if you count those). During my early years of anime fandom, I read some manga (mostly if I liked the anime first) such as Cardcaptor Sakura, Evangelion, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Chobits, Love Hina, No Need for Tenchi!, and Fushigi Yugi. Later on I also read a few others such as Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba&!, and some Lucky Star, but that's about it. Once I got more easy access to anime via fansubs, I found myself watching way more anime than reading manga. I just personally enjoy watching anime more than reading manga.
5. What type of anime usually interests you?
- A: As long as I like the characters, story, and/or artwork, I'm pretty much open to all genres of anime, from kid shows like Pokemon to "otaku" shows like Evangelion, and everything in between. As you can see from my variety of favorites in Question 2, I'm basically open to all kinds of anime =)
6. What type of anime least interests you?
- A: It's hard to say. There isn't one particular type that I don't like. I guess I'm not a huge fan of big-time mecha/military anime. Even though I like Gundam Seed, Evangelion, and a few other mecha anime, I mostly like them for their other aspects (not the mecha/military element.) Nor do I particularly like overly shoujo/angsty or fan servicy harem/moe-type anime. I'm also not very drawn to series that seem extremely "adult" or "realistic" (to the point where they might as well be a live-action series). But as I said in Question 5, I'm very open to all kinds of anime.
7. What, in your opinion, do you think is the most important factor in an anime? (popularity, animation quality, characters, story, having everything revolve around a cool game/toys/robots, etc).
- A: Most of the time, the characters. Even if the plot isn't anything special, if the characters are compelling and likable, that makes the anime worth watching. That's not to say that if the characters aren't very interesting, but the story is great, that the anime isn't worth watching, but usually it's the characters that make us feel emotionally attached to an anime.
8. Which do you generally like better, anime or manga?
- A: Usually anime, but I like them both. I know a lot of people disagree that the anime adaptation of a manga series could be as good as the original manga, but I judge the anime in its own right rather than how it compares to the manga. Anime delivers things that manga cannot; color, sound, a better sense of movement, and incredible music and voice acting. But then again, manga has the advantage of being the "original" source and doesn't have to comply to TV censorship rules. So I guess my personal preference is anime, though I like them pretty equally.
9. Which do you usually prefer, dub or sub?
- A: Usually sub, first because it's usually better than the dub, and second because it helps me learn more Japanese. I prefer subs but I like dubs too as long as I think they're good.
10. List some of your favorite Japanese voice actors and some characters that they play.
- A: Kappei Yamaguchi(Inuyasha from Inuyasha, Ranma from Ranma 1/2, Usopp from One Piece), Satsuki Yukino(Kagome from Inuyasha, Yoruichi from Bleach, Milly from Trigun), Megumi Hayashibara(Lina from Slayers, Rei from Evangelion, Musashi from Pokemon, Faye from Cowboy Bebop), Aya Hisakawa(Kero from Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Mercury from Sailor Moon, Yuki from Fruits Basket, Chloe from Noir), Yui Horie (Tohru from Fruits Basket, Ayu from Kanon, Yuuki from Vampire Knight), Mamoru Miyano(Light from Death Note, Tamaki from Ouran Host Club, Kiba from Wolf's Rain), Aya Hirano(Haruhi from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Misa from Death Note, Konata from Lucky Star), Houko Kuwashima(Sango from Inuyasha, Kirika from Noir, Kagura from Azumanga Daioh), Ikue Ohtani(Pikachu from Pokemon, Chopper from One Piece)
11. List some of your favorite English dub voice actors and some characters that they play.
- A: Eric Stuart(James and Brock from Pokemon, Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh!, Gourry from Slayers), Lisa Ortiz(Lina from Slayers, Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War, Serenity from Yu-Gi-Oh!), Veronica Taylor(Yukino from His and Her Circumstances, Ash and May from Pokemon), Richard Cox(Inuyasha from Inuyasha, Ranma from Ranma 1/2), Aaron Dismuke(Al from Full Metal Alchemist, Hiro from Fruits Basket), Wendee Lee(Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Tatsuki from Bleach), Stephanie Sheh (Eureka from Eureka 7, Orihime from Bleach), Crispin Freeman(Tsume from Wolf's Rain, Zelgadis from Slayers), Johnny Yong Bosch(Vash from Trigun, Kiba from Wolf's Rain)
12. Which anime do you think has the worst English dub? And the best?
- A: Cardcaptors is definitely the worst! XP Close seconds could be 4Kids' version of One Piece, Mon Colle Knights, and Tokyo Mew Mew. And as for the best, probably Cowboy Bebop, Fruits Basket, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Wolf's Rain, and Full Metal Alchemist.
13. List some anime that you don't like.
- A: There are a handful I've seen that I just couldn't get into but I can't really think of any that I plainly disliked...
14. Have you ever tried to get someone interested in anime, even though that person knew nothing about anime?
- A: Since most of my friends like anime at least a little, I never really tried to get them into it. As for people who don't know about anime, I'm not really good at imposing my interests on other people, so I would probably only show anime to someone if they wanted to watch it (I have shown my web site to a number of acquaintances and teachers though, and it did succeed in educating them about anime). Besides that, I have shown my mom a few titles...
15. Did it work?
- A: Well, we used to watch Pokemon together all the time for years and she liked it a lot, but then after a while she didn't like it anymore. After that, I showed her a few more series and she liked some of them, especially Tenchi and Trigun. But it's been years since we used to watch anime together all the time...however we recently watched Death Note, Noir, Mushishi, and a few anime films and she enjoyed them so hopefully when I have more time I'll show her other great shows.
16. List some of your most favorite anime characters and the anime they're from.
- A: Vash (Trigun), Asuka (Evangelion), Chopper (One Piece), Osaka and Sakaki (Azumanga Daioh), Inuyasha, Kagome and Sango (Inuyasha), Makina (Shikabane Hime), Taiga (Toradora!), Shana (Shakugan no Shana), Nagi (Kannagi), Rock Lee, Gaara and Shikamaru (Naruto), Haruhi and Kyon (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Mireille and Kirika (Noir), C.C. (Code Geass), Kagami (Lucky Star), Kiba and Toboe (Wolf’s Rain), Rukia and Chad (Bleach), and most of the 480+ pokemon (my favorite pokemon is Vaporeon)
17. List some of your least favorite anime characters and which anime they're from.
- A: Black Star from Soul Eater and Kenpachi, Ikkaku, and all the other overly violent, blood-thirsty, and/or self-absorbed characters from Bleach
18. List some of your favorite "non-human"(animal-like) anime characters and the anime they're from.
- A: Kero from Cardcaptor Sakura, Ryo-ohki from Tenchi Muyo!, Kirara from Inuyasha, Umagon from Konjiki no Gash Bell, Akamaru from Naruto, Chopper from One Piece, Weed and Jerome from Ginga Densetsu Weed, Teito from Nausicaa, all the wolves on Wolf's Rain, Chi from Chi's Sweet Home, a number of digimon, and all the 480+ pokemon!
19. List some of your favorite Japanese video games.
- A: I'm not a huge gamer but there are a few games I really love, like Pokemon, Smash Bros., Okami, Harvest Moon, and Sonic the Hedgehog. There's a handful of other games I like too (I love my Wii and DS!) but anime takes up most of free time. But if I had to pick, Pokemon games are definitely my favorites.
20. List some of your favorite anime songs and the anime they're from.
- A: I have so many! But just to name a few: "Give a Reason" and "Somewhere"(from Slayers), "Just Fly Away" and "Return to Myself"(from Mon Colle Knights), "Four Seasons" and "Change the World"(from Inuyasha), "Ready Go!" and "Mamoru Beki Mono"(from Pokemon), "Hare Hare Yukai"(from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), "Ready Steady Go!"(from Full Metal Alchemist), "Colors of the Heart"(from Blood+), "Rose," "Winter Sleep," and "A Little Pain"(from Nana), "Hemisphere"(from RahXephon), "We Are!" and "Kokoro no Chizu"(from One Piece), "D-techno Life" and "Life is Like a Boat"(from Bleach), "Gravity"(from Wolf's Rain), "Shine"(from Seirei no Moribito), "Daybreak's Bell"(from Gundam00)...and many more!
21. List some of your favorite anime couples and which anime they're from.
- A: Inuyasha+Kagome, Miroku+Sango(Inuyasha), Sakura+Shaoron(Cardcaptor Sakura), Lina+Gourry(Slayers), Kyon+Haruhi(The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Shinji+Asuka(Evangelion), Mondo+Rokuna(Mon Colle Knights), Nagi+Jin(Kannagi), Renton+Eureka(Eureka 7), Romeo+Juliet (Romeo x Juliet), Taiga+Ryuuji(Toradora!), Shana+Yuji(Shakugan no Shana), Ichigo+Rukia(Bleach)
22. What medium to you usually use to watch anime?(buy DVDs, download fansubs, watch anime on TV, borrow anime from friends, etc.)
- A: I used to mostly watch anime on TV and borrow from friends. But since I've gotten a better computer and Internet connection, I've become a dedicated fansub watcher. I still watch anime on TV once in a while and sometimes borrow from friends, and if I'm feeling rich (which isn't very often >_>) I'll buy DVDs.
23. What is your favorite anime quote and who says it?
- A: Not sure, but here's one: "There are as many truths as there are people." - Kaji, Evangelion
24. List some of your favorite anime movies.
- A: Pokemon 2000, Sailor MoonS: Hearts on Ice, Cowboy Bebop the Movie, The End of Evangelion, 5 Centimeters per Second, all the Inuyasha movies, Revolutionary Girl Utena the Movie, The Girl Who Leaped Through Time, Fullmetal Alchemist Movie: The Conqueror of Shamballa, and pretty much all of Studio Ghibli’s movies, especially Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Spirited Away
25. What is your most favorite anime of all, and why is it your favorite?
- A: It's way too hard to pick one favorite! So I'll just go with the ones I mentioned in Question 2: Azumanga Daioh, Cardcaptor Sakura, Death Note, Evangelion, Inuyasha, Kannagi, Lucky Star, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Naruto, Noir, One Piece, Pokemon, Wolf’s Rain. To narrow it down a bit, Inuyasha and Kannagi are my favorite manga series, Haruhi is my favorite anime and novel series, and Pokemon is my favorite series of games. AzuDai, CCS, Lucky Star, Noir, Eva, and Wolf's Rain are just overall great shows that I could watch again and again, and One Piece and Naruto are just great, ongoing shows that I've been watching for a long time. As for why these shows are my favorites, I'll have to write about that another day XD
26. Which anime haven't you watched but would like to?
- A: Basically anything I haven't seen already =)
Back to Main